[Cialug] Containers, CoreOS

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:18:40 CDT 2014

I've been reading about "containers".  Seems like a no-brainer logical
evolution, and apparently support for the idea goes back to 2006 in
cgroups, though I only heard of it just a few months ago.

I like the idea of this CoreOS.  Very Linux.

CoreOS: Linux for the cloud and the datacenter
http://www.zdnet.com/coreos-linux-for-the-cloud-and-the-datacenter-7000031137/

"CoreOS is designed to be lightweight. Its developers claim that, at a mere
114MBs of RAM, CoreOS takes up 40 percent less memory on boot than the
average Linux server."

"Besides cutting down Linux's memory requirements, CoreOS runs all of its
applications inside Docker containers. Containers, which are based on a
shared operating system kernel, are much lighter and more efficient than
hypervisors."

--
Todd