[Cialug] ? Asset Inventory and Management

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:34:53 CDT 2014

Dear Smart and Experienced Professionals;

If I had servers (physical and virtual) in three data centers running a
variety of OSs and wanted to do a partially automated inventory of my
assets, network topology, services, configuration, etc., what would be a
good open-source toolset to use?

I know how I would have approached this ten years ago, but would like to
know about more up-to-date tools.

It's a requirement that the data be captured into some database capable of
ad-hoc queries.

It'd be even nicer if the data could be captured into something directly
usable by a tool like Puppet so that servers could be  easily rebuilt or
replicated.

Other than spreadsheets, what are people using for ongoing inventory and
management?

Thank you,

--jim