[Cialug] Windows XP EOL: Opportunity for Open Source

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Tue Jan 28 12:13:31 CST 2014

Hey all,

Windows XP end-of-life is coming up in early April.  After that, Windows
Update will not patch XP for security holes or any other bugs, and there
are lots of XP machines out there.

Now's a good time to mention to friends and family that open source has
them covered, and to show them an example to generate interest.  (Big
decisions usually need some no-pressure time to think it over.)

One of my friends, who is completely non-technical, runs Ubuntu.  He
knows nothing about Unix at all but is happy with his system.  I don't
think he's unique in being satisfied with a computer that does what he
wants it to.  So spread the word!

Nicolai