[Cialug] Not able to resolve hosts names with a .local domain.

Aaron ampilgrim85 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 19:40:46 CST 2014

Hello all,

I have recently switched from a Debian BIND DNS server to a Zentyal 3.3
domain Server, and I've run into an issue with DNS. Well, I've had this
issue for a while with not resolving the FQDN, but now I've gotten into
an big issue while joining Linux Mint 13 to Zentyal. Using Likewise-open
I'm getting the following error:

Error: Lsass Error [code 0x000000043]

Network name not found.. Failure to lookup a domain name ending in
".local" may be the result of configuring the local system's hostname
resolution (or equivalent) to use Multi-cast DNS. Please refer to the
Likewise manual at
http://www.likewise.com/resources/documention_library/manuals/open/likewise-open-guide.html#ConfigNsswitch
for more information.

I've been able to test this all out in a virtual environment before
deployment, worked this out by editing the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

Edited the above to:
hosts: files dns [NOTFOUND=return]

And everything worked out, was able to join the VM to the domain and
also it now allows FQDN to be resolved. However, after I deployed the
Zentyal server in production, and configured it to same specs as I did
in the VM, I edited the nsswitch.conf on my production Mint 13 dekstop
and I get the same Lsass Error, however after multiple times glancing it
over, I edited my dhclient.conf file to superseed my .local domain and
preseed my localhost. I'm at a loss as to what else might be causing
this issue. Any ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated.