[Cialug] MTA HELO

Kevin Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sun Jan 12 16:05:12 CST 2014

Just so it's clear. A lookup of any kind doesn't happen. It's just checks
syntax.

Relevant Postix settings:
reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname (with Postfix < 2.3: reject_non_fqdn_hostname)
Reject the request when the HELO or EHLO hostname is not in fully-qualified
domain or address literal form, as required by the RFC.
mail.whatever.foo would actually pass.
"whatever" would fail.
[123.123.123.12] would pass as well I think, until it reached below...

reject_invalid_helo_hostname (with Postfix < 2.3: reject_invalid_hostname)
Reject the request when the HELO or EHLO hostname is malformed.
[123.123.123.12] would fail.
"mail/whatever.foo" would fail.
etc...

The following would do a DNS lookup, but it wouldn't be compliant with RFC
to reject based on that, so it's rarely used and neither do I.

reject_unknown_helo_hostname (with Postfix < 2.3: reject_unknown_hostname)
Reject the request when the HELO or EHLO hostname has no DNS A or MX
record.