[Cialug] MTA HELO

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sun Jan 12 11:15:57 CST 2014

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014, David Champion wrote:

> I would also add that you want to have a proper Reverse DNS entry that
> matches the FQDN that your MTA reports, and it doesn't hurt to have a SPF
> record for it as well.
>
> -dc

I would wager that the 'new' mailserver that is now not sending a hostname

We see them all the time, ... the sad part is that 99% of the 'tech typs'
installing MS servers have no clue.

It's *definately* their problem, but you may have to end up whitelisting
on your end only because nobody there has the technical knowledge to fix
it.

Use an accesss list in your Postfix configuration:

check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access

and build the access.db using postmap with an entry like:

salesforce.com  OK

Note that a large company like salesforce is so lacking in technical
expertise that THEY could not provide a FQDN!! (I just spotted this one in
our access table.)

Even MORE amazing: *STATE FARM INSURANCE* does not send FQDNs from most of
their email servers! When I complained to the "head of their IT services"
he said: "That's not our problem". Sheesh! A multi-billion dollar company
has a head of IT services that doesn't even know about RFCs.

	Lee