[Cialug] MTA HELO

Kevin Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sun Jan 12 08:47:38 CST 2014

I'm I wrong? Postfix configured to reject connections from mail serves
whose HELO is not a FQDN. It doesn't try and resolve it. Stops a ton of
Spammers at the front door. This has not been an issue for 15 years.
Recently our payroll guys upgraded and now their mail server doesn't return
a FQDN. So, mail is rejected. I said set a FQDN even if it's made up. They
want me to Whitelist them; I'm pretty sure at this level Whitelisting isn't
an option. I'm not sure their system administrator knows what I'm talking
about.

Thoughts? I'm not inclined to change given this is the only false in 15
years; that I'm aware of. As long as I don't reject based on it not
resolving, I believe I'm not violating the standard.