[Cialug] Prominent North American Enterprise Linux Vendor Partners with Competitor

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 12:51:29 CST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <
daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:

> Isn't "Prominent North American Enterprise Linux Vendor" what CentOS
> uses to refer to Red Hat Enterprise Linux? I think they do it to make
> sure there is no way they can be in violation of any trademarks, though
> it is rather awkward.

Yes, that's Red Hat.  That's what the linked article is about.  Red Hat is
partnering up with CentOS now, and presumably will allow CentOS to be a
little more rational about calling Red Hat Red Hat.

I never could understand why it would be like that to begin with.  I mean,
Ubuntu calls Debian Debian, right?  And Mint calls Ubuntu Ubuntu.  If
that's the name, isn't it just being honest to call it that?

--
Todd