[Cialug] Upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 17:15:18 CST 2014

I was playing w/ an old laptop (Inspiron 8600) recently that doesn't
support PAE kernels. You can't install many of the current installs like
Ubuntu on it.

I did some checking, found that Mageia 3 (the open fork of Mandriva)
doesn't use a PAE kernel by default.The light "dual arch" cd install disc
installs with the LXDE desktop, which is very light on resources, so it
runs well on older hardware. You can also run KDE or Gnome... etc... if you
want.

Mageia is a pretty good distro. It uses RPM with the urpmi installer
(similar to yum). It should be fairly familiar to anyone that is used to a
RedHat style distro.

-dc