[Cialug] Exchange Replacement Opportunity

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Feb 12 10:58:53 CST 2014

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014, Josh More wrote:

> I gave up and went with Google.  I hate that I did that, but given how much
> time I was losing to trying to maintain a secure mail server there wasn't
> much in the way of a practical option.  Were I to do it again, I'd probably
> pick something other than Google, but I'd still go with a cloud solution.

Wow, .. what a shame! Google is a neat company, .. but WAY to 'Big
Brother' for my liking!

We have used mailserv for many years (OpenBSD based), but it no longer has
commercial support, and is missing some of the groupware options.

> Another option is to go with Zimbra or the like and run it through a
> cloud-based filter like ProofPoint.  Just make sure that you are in a
> position to charge for your email admin time (which I was not).

While we do charge for admin time, I would not use any external services.

	Thanks!

	Lee

> -Josh
>
> P.S.  This email would be more fun if you were running
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cloud-to-butt-plus/apmlngnhgbnjpajelfkmabhkfapgnoai?hl=en

Sorry, no way no how - I will not use Chrome! Two issues for me -
unless something has changed recently, there is no way to manage cookies,
nor any way to block JS.

Google makes their billions on the illeratti, .. I refuse to be counted in
those numbers, and I cannot counsel anyone that direction either.

	Thanks!

	Lee