[Cialug] Wireless Router Repeatedly Drops Connection

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 15 10:10:17 CST 2014

I have one of the buffalos that didn't come with DD-WRT but supported it.
It was an easy install. I used it for several years and now it's running
the guest wifi at a restaurant I frequent. (sometime in person, remind me
to tell you about the giant spider in the ceiling)

I've also had good luck with Linksys and D-Link routers. I've found that
generally, the more I paid for a router, the better it worked for me. I
bought an ultra-cheap D-Link that didn't work well if I did any streaming
or used BT. It would overheat and turn off. I bought a nicer D-Link that
never had a problem until, after years of use, I broke the antenna off. It
still worked for a while, but when jostled, the antenna would come loose
and range would plummet.

The Linksys routers I've had more recently were very different from each
other. The first one (E2500) is more hacker friendly, and it had lots of
knobs and buttons in the web control panel. It's great. I wanted Gigabit
and 802.11ac and, without doing enough research, upgraded to an "easy to
use" model (EA6350). Still spent a fair amount of money, and the
performance is exceptional, but the control panel has very less that you
can actually control. I'd buy Linksys again, but I'd want one that supports
IPv6 via a tunnel broker, the main feature I lost with my most recent
upgrade.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Ron Houk <houk.ron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone ever try one of those buffalo routers that comes with dd-wrt
> installed by default?
>

> http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/open-source-dd-wrt/airstation-highpower-n300-dd-wrt-wireless-router
> On Dec 15, 2014 12:48 AM, "Matt" <matt at itwannabe.com> wrote:
>
> > When 802.11n routers finally dropped the "draft n" label, I bought an
> > expensive Linksys wireless-n router at CompUSA's going out of business
> > sale.  It refused to keep a connection for more than ten minutes at a
> time
> > right out of the box, but they didn't allow returns, so I was screwed.
> >
> > A few months later I bought a new Linksys wireless-n router with similar
> > features, but a completely different design, and it lasted about 6 months
> > before it started doing the same thing. I hobbled it along for a couple
> > more months by putting it on the floor over one of the central air vents
> > (it was summer, and this kept it relatively cool, which seemed to help).
> >
> > Eventually, though, no amount of cooling was helping, so I bought a third
> > wireless-n router -- this time a D-Link dual band N300 router marketed to
> > gamers -- and I haven't had to buy any new routers for the past four
> years.
> >
> > Never will I ever buy anything Linksys ever again.  I've seen and heard
> > bad things about D-Link over the years, but I haven't had a single
> problem
> > out of my router other than the fact that it took 3 years to get a
> version
> > of dd-wrt released for it.  I will admit that the factory firmware for it
> > was pretty weak, but it served my consumer needs well enough.  Now that
> > there is a version of dd-wrt for it, though, I can set up a guest network
> > for it, and I have far more information about and control over my LAN.
> >
> > -- Matt
> >

> > > On Dec 14, 2014, at 8:55 PM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Check for a firmware update. Try turning off any remote access.
> > >
> > > -dc

> If
> > you
> > on,