[Cialug] Bitcoin mining

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Dec 11 11:42:16 CST 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> Though your comment about free electricity makes me think of an idea I've been working on where house-hold waste could be used to power an electrical generator. (no, not a Mr. Fusion) However, my idea involves creating ethanol which, as it turns out, is heavily regulated for some crazy reason.

If you had significant amounts of waste, you could make a methane digester:

http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/methane_generator.html

Although from what I've read you'd need a lot to make significant amounts.

Has anyone done the math on using solar or wind energy to power
bitcoin miners?  Especially if you kept the bitcoin miners somewhere
where they didn't impact your cooling bills.

--
Jeff Ollie