[Cialug] Off topic - Windows Help

Kevin Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sat Dec 6 12:50:44 CST 2014

Ran into something odd and the Internets isn't much help. Need to  fix this
by Monday, so any suggestions would be great. I may be willing to hire a
Windows server guru if I don't get this figured out by today.

When trying to add a computer to the new Windows Domain Controller we are
getting the error a the bottom. We've tried the common answers from Google
searches, I think something is bad with the DNS? We can ping the DC
hostname and FQDN. So, I'm confused. Any ideas.

Computer Name/Domain Changes
The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "msl":

An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain
being joined has failed.  Please verify this client is configured to reach
a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For
information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.