[Cialug] Unable to remove a directory in RedHat7

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Aug 22 13:19:51 CDT 2014

On Aug 21, 2014, at 6:02 PM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I did try that and it would not let me move the directory.  It gave me an error that indicated there was some kind of permissions issue.  However, I set the permissions on all the directories from the top down to 777 which should give all rights.

Unless it’s got an ACL or another permissions flags set.

Based on your `ls -la` output I don’t think you’ve got an ACLs set (typically the permissions segment ends with a + in `ls` output when any ACL exist), but you can guarantee that with:
	setfacl -R -b <path>
which will remove all ACLs from all files and folders under <path>.

And there’s the immutable bit I mentioned before, which doesn’t show up in `ls` output:
	chattr -R -i <path>
which recursively clears the immutable flag on everything under <path>.

I also still think it’s worth checking for processes with an open handle, and if you can stand to remount read-only for a bit, for filesystem corruption.

	Zach