[Cialug] Unable to remove a directory in RedHat7

Tom Sellers tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 16:29:00 CDT 2014

I have been trying to clean up my old linux box that I used as a server and make sure I did not leave anything on there important.  In the process of doing so I have run into a directory that I can't delete.  It says it is not empty but I am unable to see any files in that directory when I am logged on as the root user.

Is there a way to remove the directory regardless of whether there are any hidden files in it?

I tried a command I found on line rm -rf filename but that does not work.  Just tells me directory is not empty.

Suggestions?