[Cialug] Backup of user machines

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Sat Aug 16 11:48:51 CDT 2014

On 2014.08.16 10:38, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Would like to have a 'user level' backup system for some of our users;
> rsnapshot is fine for servers, but managing backups and restoring a file
> is not something for a user.
>
> Any recommendations for a 'user friendly' system? Need cross (i.e. Windoze
> 8), .. and use our servers for storage.

It's more in the category of "DropBox replacement" than "backup
utility", but BitTorrent Sync has been working pretty well around these
parts.  Combined with rolling backups on the server made available via
Samba, one gets both physical redundancy and an ability to restore older
versions of a file simply by browsing a network share.