[Cialug] IIS Link Farms

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 4 12:29:33 CDT 2014

Powershell is the best shell MS has made, by far. The learning curve is a
bit steep and it's so different from Unix shells that it's been hard for me
to wrap my head around it and put its power to full use. I'm also thankful
that it has Unix aliases for common commands.

I'm still partial to Bash, but probably due to muscle memory (and the fact
that I don't use Windows much).

IIS took a big jump in usage a few years ago when GoDaddy switched their
domain parking and low-end hosting services from Apache to IIS.

Apache has also had pressure from other open source web servers,
particularly NGINX, but Tornado, *Unicorn and others are doing some cool
stuff.

I'd love to see the (probably impossible) stats for which servers host real
the most real websites. Another probably impossible stat would be the
number of servers running websites. That would differ from domains hosted
since some servers host many domains and some domains are hosted on many
servers.

MS has a lot to loose if the world perceives that open source web servers
are the best way to host web infrastructure. This is an important
battlefront for them, because they need IIS to be credible in order to sell
Server OSs, databases and web development tools that hook people into their
toolchains.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 7:27 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, Ralph Kessel wrote:
> >
> > > Just learned about the Power Shell in  windows. No, it is not as good
> > > as a nix shell but far better than current dos
> > >
> > Power shell is just a name, .. the product is crap. If you need a shell
> in
> > Windoze, install bash [Cygwin].
> >

> PowerShell is frickin' awesome.  It's the only thing that makes living in a
> Windows world tolerable.  It's better than Bash in some ways, not as good
> in some others.  And if you're in Windows-land and you just need a shell,
> Cygwin Bash isn't worth the effort.  Just use PowerShell.
>
> --
> Todd

Matthew Nuzum