[Cialug] Mediacom to boost speeds

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Apr 30 12:44:32 CDT 2014

On Apr 30, 2014, at 11:22 AM, Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:

> 2)  I still don't think they are over subscribed.  I DO however think they
> need to upgrade the equipment that handles neighborhood level connections.
> The pipe they provide me at least is consistently screaming.

For example, for well over a year I've been paying for 12mbps and I regularly get 20+mbps. Sometimes my speed fluctuates but I never get below 12mbps. My upload speed is usually about twice what I pay for as well. (I posted specifics to Twitter some time ago, but it's impossible to find anything on Twitter more than 24 hours old)

Regarding underpowered equipment, when I used to help test Ubuntu's torrent files I was able to overheat my Century Link modem and cheapo self-bought router. After a while, one of them, usually the router, would just shut off until it cooled down. If you care about performance or are a heavy user, definitely don't opt for the cheapest equipment. (it was the number of connections causing the problem, not the bandwidth)

--
Matthew Nuzum