[Cialug] Mediacom to boost speeds

Justin Richeson neomatrixjr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 12:09:55 CDT 2014

I think you're pretty much correct Scott...

1.) Most provided routers are the cheapest thing they can give out to basic
customers who probably have one PC and maybe a tablet or smartphone.  With
a paltry amount of ram and a processor that would fry itself if you so much
as googled "torrent."  My ancient linksys cable modem is still in service
at my parent's when they're d-link gave up the ghost and I still think a
straight up pass-through modem is the best bet for DSL or Cable.

2.) I should amend my over-subscription statement.  I believe they oversell
what their neighborhood hardware can handle. (The same way they're
overselling what some of their modem/routers can handle!)  Not necessarily
what they can handle on the backend.

3.) Yeah, I'd always eventually get that good tech that would come out and
finally agree that the line to my house was the issue.  Problem was the
cable line to my house ran under the street in our townhome complex.  After
a few years they FINALLY got a crew out that was able to run a newer,
better cable...it didn't help much.  My issue always seemed seasonal.
 Early highs in the summer and early lows in the late fall would always
cause my cable to have more ups and downs than your average roller coaster.

Jeffrey,

Yep, I'm on CrashPlan too.  Have my parent's place and my place set up with
a central backup system and then cross-offsite backups to each other.  Any
time I want to play battlefield 4 I have to kill crashplan on my PC and my
server.

And yep, VDSL2 to our house. :(  I had heard good things about the ZyXel
Q100, but they're almost impossible to find.  They're a basic VDSL2 modem.
 No Router, no WiFi, just phone in, eth out.  On that topic...anyone know
why I can go to the store (or at least amazon) and find half a dozen cable
modems, but if I look for DSL I can only find...pretty much whatever CL is
offering right now...so 1, maybe 2 models?

I'm probably going to put my modem/router/ap into passthrough only as soon
as I can get my hands on a router I like.  Problem is they're all WAY out
of my <$100 (and the less the better) budget right now.  Then again, I'm
picky.  I want too much.  An 802.11ac dual-band router with a gigabit
switch and DD-WRT support that has a good processor and sufficient RAM
isn't too much to ask is it?! :)  Though I'd be willing to blow my budget
for one of these bad boys:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaprouter/soap-first-smart-router-w-touch-display-powered-by
Too bad I missed the early buy-in prices.