[Cialug] Small Org Admins

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Apr 30 10:21:57 CDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM, jim kraai <jimgkraai at gmail.com> wrote:
> ruby: personal ouch for hackability

I hear ya.  Lots of ruby code just looks like magic to me.  If I
didn't think that Discourse wasn't the best option for a web forum out
there I wouldn't have bothered.

> 1G RAM: WTF ouch holy carp why is this acceptable?

I have no idea.  I think that there's a lot of stuff that gets cached
in RAM for speed.  Then RoR just seems to be a memory hog on it's own.

> sounds like being one java-translation away from being an 'enterprise grade
> forum'

I actually have more luck running Java stuff than I do RoR.  RoR code
seems to be written by people that are more dev than ops and it shows.
 If you really want an interesting time, try running Logstash, which
is JRuby so you have the "awesomeness" of both Ruby and Java to deal
with.

--
Jeff Ollie