[Cialug] Small and quiet Linux box suggestions

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Mon Apr 28 08:40:46 CDT 2014

That gaming mini PC is interesting, but not very compelling for me. I
would probably be happier without discrete graphics and the extra fan
noise it implies. I just don't push a machine in the ways that gamers
do.

I guess i'll have to compare specs and prices, as far as the Mac Mini
idea goes. It would be a shame to buy a Mac and then just throw away the
OS and applications that come with it. But if i get a new machine it
definitely won't be set up to duel-boot[1]; it'll be Linux only. Having
multiple operating systems on a machine is OK for testing, but the
wasted space from the unused OS gets annoying in the long-term.

[1] Spelling intentional.

On 2014-04-27 at 20:32:49 Derek Etnyre wrote:
> Saw this in ArsTechnica today - thought of this thread:
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/fast-but-compromised-gigabytes
> -amd-powered-mini-gaming-pc-reviewed/
>
> For the money, think Mac Mini would be better, but I'm more then a
> little biased...
>
> Not had much problem using bootcamp on Mac laptop.  Just hold down
> option key when powering on and then select partition to boot from.
>
> Derek
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu