[Cialug] Small and quiet Linux box suggestions

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Sun Apr 27 09:08:22 CDT 2014

How well do modern Mac Minis run Linux? When i first started thinking
about mini PCs, the Mac Mini was the first that came to mind. I've run
Linux on Apple hardware before (both PowerPC and Intel) and have been
frustrated by the constant little problems though. But if i recall
correctly, most of my post-installation issues were related to booting;
the boot loader on Apple hardware seemed quite brittle and often broke
on kernel upgrades. Maybe it is better now; the last time i ran Linux on
Apple hardware was several years ago when EFI was a novelty that was
really *only* available on Apple. None of my hardware is new enough to
have it, but my understanding is that EFI is a bit more common now.

On 2014-04-25 at 18:29:03 Rob Cook wrote:
> My issues with that Brix mini PC is that once you spec it past
> 'barebones' but not fully loaded with a core i7 you can buy a
> refurbed Mac Mini with a core i7. There really isn't anything that
> works better in this form factor than Mini and nothing will be as
> quiet.
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu