[Cialug] Small and quiet Linux box suggestions

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Apr 25 09:10:09 CDT 2014

On 2014-04-23 at 10:40:30 David Champion wrote:
> I've got one of the Asus / Atom mini PC's. It's OK but the CPU is just
> too slow for me.
> I think any of the Shuttle / Asus / Intel mini PC's with a Core i5 or
> better would work well for you.
> -dc

This sounds like a good possibility for something that is small and
quiet, but still has good performance when needed:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/a-turbo-charged-quad-core-mini-desktop-gigabytes-brix-pro-reviewed/

It has "Intel Iris Pro 5200" graphics. I don't know what graphics are
like today, but last time i checked, Intel was slow but compatible (open
source drivers!), nVidia was fast but required proprietary drivers, and
ATI was fast but the proprietary drivers were unstable. That was at
least 5-6 years ago though; far enough in the past that ATI wasn't yet
called AMD. Does Intel still have open source drivers? My current
machine has an nVidia card, and while i've not had any problems with it,
i would be quite happy if i could get back to a fully open-source system
again.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu