[Cialug] Small and quiet Linux box suggestions

Nathan C. Smith NSmith at hhlawpc.com
Wed Apr 23 12:10:29 CDT 2014

The NUCs are nice if you have the right distro.  I had trouble getting Debian to install because of the BIOS but Linux Mint worked fine.  They are releasing some new Atoms that make an Atom server more attractive.  I really like the SuperMicro Atom Barebones  that are 1 U 1/2 depth, though at present most of them only support two internal drives.  The thing that might sway me is if the MOBO goes bad on the SuperMicro Atom, it might be easier to get a replacement than in a NUC.  There are a few other companies producing NUC-alikes that have some appeal too.

-Nate