[Cialug] Ubuntu 14 LTS

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Apr 22 09:50:28 CDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Adam Hill <adam at diginc.us> wrote:

> I've been using the 14.04 beta daily builds for a while with luck on my
> laptop, mainly for the LXC kernel support (docker!).  I don't really do
> much outside of a terminal and browser so I'd say the experience is great
> if you're a user like I am who barely uses the GUI & you just want newer
> shiny version numbers.  12.04 server upgrades I will hold off on just in
> case they're not really out of beta yet...

Yeah, docker is cool. I'm going to wait until the summer to make the switch
from 12.04 though. Usually the first two weeks of a new release are flooded
with updates that were in the queue during the development freeze and then
there will be a few important gotchas rearing their heads once the dust
settles.

I have to say, I agree with @segfault:
https://twitter.com/segphault/status/451435866607480833

I really don't understand Canonical's long-term strategy. Is this a
business or just a long-running experiment? Are they focusing on desktop,
server/cloud, embedded, tablet, phone or all of the above? Seems like too
many things to focus on. I realize that the age of "desktop" computing is
over, but how can you do anything with excellence when you're trying to do
so many things? (not to mention juju, commercial monitoring and 'Metal as a
Service' initiative)

--
Matthew Nuzum