[Cialug] Ubuntu 14 LTS

Adam Hill adam at diginc.us
Fri Apr 18 15:28:51 CDT 2014

I've been using the 14.04 beta daily builds for a while with luck on my
laptop, mainly for the LXC kernel support (docker!).  I don't really do
much outside of a terminal and browser so I'd say the experience is great
if you're a user like I am who barely uses the GUI & you just want newer
shiny version numbers.  12.04 server upgrades I will hold off on just in
case they're not really out of beta yet...

If you have been on 12.04 desktop and nothing since then you'll want to
disable the spam in the launcher search immediately...a highly annoying new
'feature' since 13.04 or so:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/192269/how-can-i-remove-amazon-search-results-from-the-dash-or-disable-the-feature

Which of course brings up the question why even use unity?  UbuntuGnome is
an official ubuntu ISO since 13.04.  I might try switching to that now that
the final release is out.  The big drawback I see is 3 years of updates
instead of 5.