[Cialug] Windows Replacement

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Wed Apr 9 10:04:21 CDT 2014

I'm going to upgrade a couple of Lenovo T60 personal laptops to SSD and at the same time convert them from XP to Linux.

Does the fact that I'm planning on using SSD rather than a spinning disk make any difference to which Linux version I choose?  (I'm making the assumption that at least some Linux versions are SSD compatible.)

Other than capacity, does it make a difference which SSD I choose?  I.E. Does SSD brand or model affect Linux compatibility?

Besides the SSD, what do I need to purchase (hardware & software) to get the data from the old DASD to the SSD?  (I'm making the assumption that I install the SSD, install Linux from a bootable CD / DVD, and then populate it with the data from the old drive.  If that's not the best plan, I'm open to suggestions.)

I have an external (USB) drive that I use to backup my data and store in a safe when not doing backups.  Is there Linux software that will backup only the new or changed data to an external USB drive for safe keeping?  Do I need to start over with a new drive for the Linux systems?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Murray R. McKee

Operating Systems Analyst
Mainframe/Midrange Services

Wells Fargo Compute Platform Services  |  800 Walnut Street  |  Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
MAC N0001-037
Tel 515-557-6127 |  Cell 515-343-6630 |  Fax 515-557-6046 | Text pager: 5153436630 at vtext.com

MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com

TOG Recognition