[Cialug] Kernel?

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Wed Apr 2 15:49:37 CDT 2014

The drivers for most things in Android are binary blobs of some sort.  This would be true of the GPU and media codec "drivers" for the SoC and any "peripheral" devices, like the camera, bluetooth chip, wifi chip, and maybe the touchscreen.  There are "kernel drivers" that serve as memory block placeholders for these binary blobs to interact with the hardware, though.

There are also things that the companies don't mind open-sourcing, like the power management and HSIC chips, which might only be used for a single phone before a better chip comes out (or one chip may be cheaper during one production run... or one chip may be taylored to provide power for 1.8V devices and the next SoC goes to 1.2V, etc, etc).  The eMMC driver from Samsung (which I think was used with the SGS3?) is "open source", even though Samsung has no interest in submitting it to mainline for review.

When software meets hardware, I start losing any ability to understand what is going on, so everything I know about this subject was heard (read on IRC) second-hand.

--Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer