[Cialug] Back to Linux Basics Series

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Thu Sep 26 12:43:56 CDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:47:48AM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> Potentially... a lot.
>
> On a random CentOS 6.x server:
>
> # grep kernel yum.log

Hey Dave,

Yes, that's absolutely right.  I think there's some confusion up-thread,
though.  Hear me out.

Yesterday I posted an example of a non-Ubuntu machine being stable.
That just means anything that's not Ubuntu.

I think an important "Linux basics" thing to note is that Linux isn't
the only member of the UNIX family of operating systems.  This
misconception is pretty common.  You can even find code published that
compiles on all modern UNIX systems, claimed as "Linux only."  That's
weird.  I know you and the people in this thread are aware of this, but
some aren't.

It was just a little anecdote.  I've applied all the related security
patches.  None are for the kernel, otherwise I would have rebooted.
sigh of relief.

Go check the cialug machine's output of `last`.  It's pretty clear that
I pay more attention to security updates (for that box at least) than
everyone else... combined.

Nicolai