[Cialug] PRIVACYCON: A broader outline of the event

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Thu Sep 19 20:08:32 CDT 2013

Hey all,

Good meeting last night.  I was asked to share a broader outline of
PRIVACYCON with the list so here it goes.  (Cool name btw, who thought
of it?  I didn't catch many names at the meeting.)

I've thought about this a LOT.  I've organized two 300+ person events
with media, plus smaller ones.  We can do this.  (I'm picturing 100+ for
PRIVACYCON.)

FIRST, the goal:

1a. To help non-technical people protect their privacy.
1b. To bring people to open source software to achieve #1a.  (Since
closed source is subverted, open source is an obvious solution.  The
more of it the better.)

I think PRIVACYCON can be an amazing event on its own, but it'll likely
bring in new group members as well.  I also hope good publicity can
serve as a sort of template for others, and encourage similar events in
other cities.

SECOND, demonstrations have a deep impact on people.  Just an examples:
a "magic show" with two endpoints and a sniffer or tracker in between.
The sender sends a secret and... "The card you are holding is the 7 of
clubs!"  IRL it's not entertainment of course.  We could do a few
60-second talks w/ 10mins of application (like I mentioned in the
introductory email), broken up with a demonstration here and there to
keep things fresh.

THIRD, to get other groups on board we'll need to send a group member or
two to meet face to face with their group(s).  It's the only way...
emails get forwarded and forgotten.  Since there are 300 people on this
list, we can find people who support the causes of other groups.  We
need supportive "ambassadors."

I think these are the most important things.  If we prepare for and do
them well, the other stuff will fall into place almost effortlessly.

And this is somewhat longer term, now, but I think a superb follow-up to
PRIVACYCON would be a Linux Installfest.  We'll generate a lot of
interest in open source software at the event, and an Installfest
follows naturally.  Strike while the iron's hot.

Thoughts?  Experience with event organizing?  What do you want out of
it?

Nicolai