[Cialug] DNS and playing well with OSX

Moder John II Lee jmoder at me.com
Thu Sep 19 19:24:29 CDT 2013

Hello--  I am a new subscriber here, and was hoping to learn some about a new Linux install, and fix an initial problem I am having.

II am a Linux/CentOS newbie, and am not overly technical to begin with so I beg mercy from all the super users here!

I currently have an OSX Snow Lepord Server running my home office. Wanted to try Linux, with eventual plans to use it as a second server to eventually serve a Domino/Lotus Notes application, and a pseudo share point server.  I would like it to authenticate to the OSX domain, but first I think I need to solve this problem before jumping to that one.

My question is: Why can't I Ping by hostname from the OSX box to the CentOS box?

The OSX box is doing DNS for the network. The CentOS box is pointed to that DNS server. I have a Machine Record in the Server's DNS pointing to the correct IP.

I have already checked the Hosts file, which only has loopback addresses.

I have also checked the resolv.conf file, which again does not contain anything out of the ordinary.

I can ping the CentOS box from the OSX box by IP, just not my name.

As for current IP Scheme, here is what I have:

Router at 10.0.1.1
OSXSLS1 at 10.0.1.2 set static, DNS pointing to loopback and externals.
CentOS1 at 10.0.1.5 set static and DNS pointing to 10.01.2.

When I do dig from OSXSLS1 this is what I get:

OSXSLS1:~ administrator$ dig Centos1.(mydomain).net

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> Centos1.(mydomain).net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;Centos1.mydomain.net.	IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
(mydomain).net.	2463	IN	SOA	ns75.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2013091200 28800 7200 604800 600

;; Query time: 29 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 19 19:17:50 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 109

I have tried to add it to the hosts file, and it works as expected, but I would rather figure out why it is not responding correctly through DNS.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

John