[Cialug] Disappearing printers?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Sep 18 16:08:16 CDT 2013

I don't use Windoze much, .. but when I tried to use my Vista machine
today to print, the HP 6P printer (on CUPS 1.4.6 with a Linksys parallel
adapter) was not "accessible".

This machine has worked for many years, though it is often hibernated for
days (or weeks) and the random problem I saw was chalked to a bad wake-up.

Unfortunately, today, no amount of rebooting or reinstalling (no access)
would install a valid printer, so I just added the port manually.

Question - what would cause a printer to suddenly be 'inaccessible'? User
credentials are are fine, as I can access all the other shares.

	TIA,

	Lee