[Cialug] Better email list manager

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Oct 17 11:44:03 CDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Looking for a 'simpler' email list manager (i.e. for a simpler user), ..
> something a business can use to manage an email list.
>
> If nothing else, it would be nice to have:
>
>  * Name and email address (not email only)
>  * Simple management form that shows names and emails, with edit or drop
>  * When 'dropping' an email from the list, record a *status* of dropped so
>    it cannot be added again by accident (to prevent recipient frustration)
>
> Any recmmendations?

Is this for a discussion-type list or for sending out marketing
emails?  For a discussion list, I'd recommend mailman, which probably
dominates self-hosted mailing lists (pretty much anything not using
google or yahoo groups).

For sending out marketing emails, I think you'd be much better served
contracting with a commercial service that handles that sort of thing.

> PHP or Rails would be nice, .. Perl a close 2nd.

"Rails" and "simple" do not belong in the same sentence.

--
Jeff Ollie