[Cialug] Internet access

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Oct 4 15:21:20 CDT 2013

Hi, I've found that Mediacom Cable has gotten extremely reliable in the
last few years. In part because I stopped using their DNS. If you use
Google or Open DNS services (free) then it is beyond fine. I pay for 12mbps
and usually get over 20mbps. And as long as I don't reboot my cable modem,
my IP address never changes. I have often run servers at home and usually
have a shell account I can log into remotely for SSH access. I just use
dyndns to keep a constant hostname I can point CNAMEs to.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>
> > Be sure to factor reliability into the subjective evaluation.  I don't
> > know what alternatives you have available but things like cable modem
> > Internet, at least in my experience, do not hold a candle to the
> > reliability of DSL, even though I will admit cable has improved.
> >
> > -Nate
> >
> On the contrary, what ATT is selling for DSL now (uVerse) is really crap
> compared to the original, dedicated DSL, and much worse (and significantly
> slower) than current cable modems with DOCSiS3! The ATT service truck is
> at the neighbors at least every three months trying to fix their uVerse
> service.
>
>         Lee

Matthew Nuzum