[Cialug] Ubuntu 12,04 LTS

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Tue Nov 19 00:04:42 CST 2013

You are correct.  Canonical seems more concerned about delivering a "pretty" system that works at a respectable level of performance than they are about covering the widest user base.

I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to when the liveCD (liveUSB) install option was reported to have been attempted, so I may have made the wrong guess about the issue (though I do stand behind the fact that this is an extremely common cause of the problem of having a broken system after upgrading from pre-12.04 to 12.04 and later).  If you were able to boot into Unity on the liveCD/USB media, then I can only assume that you have hardware 3D acceleration support.  I haven't paid enough attention as to whether the live install media has the same 3D hardware requirements that the final install of Ubuntu does, but I can only imagine that it does.  If the live media boots and gives you a running Unity GUI, then I would be willing to assume that the system should run equally well after a successful installation.

My first troubleshooting step would be to make sure that the md5sum of the ISO download matches.  You might also want to run a check against the USB drive you are trying to install from (if you haven't already).

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer