[Cialug] TLS in Postfix

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 12:48:28 CST 2013

TLS in your MTA is OK, I can tell you from experience that it's a pain to
actually require TLS.

Most people (I assume this is what you've done) only have it set to accept
TLS connections when available, but will fall back to plain text when it's
not available. Chances are the email message is stored in plain text,
possibly in several places along the chain if there's any mail filtering or
caching appliances involved.

Because of this, TLS isn't really a viable alternative to email encryption.

-dc