[Cialug] I Don't Hate Tikly--a Thoughtful Side-Topic Opinion

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 20:13:08 CST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Matt Stanton <matt at itwannabe.com> wrote:

> The problem with using facebook or tikly or eventbright is that you are
> giving this information to an untrusted organization that had none of the
> orignal information to begin with.  They are getting free data that can be
> used or sold in unforseen ways in return for a single number or a list of
> names.

I like sites that let you sign in with a username and a password, and
nothing more.  You don't "create" a login, you just enter a username and
password.  If they've seen it before then you connect into that account.
If not, then it creates a new account with nothing more than those two data
points.  That seems to give the best of both worlds, i.e. the persistence
of an identity across sessions, but not necessarily the connection to your
real person.  And you don't have to go through some stupid account creation
process, you just create the hash, whether it's new or not.

--
Todd