[Cialug] Gigabit Internet in Iowa

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Wed May 29 10:37:25 CDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 04:07:35PM -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> Much more expensive than Google Fiber though, is Google really
> subsidizing the service that much, or is Google's size the factor?

I think it's about integration with existing and future Google
technologies.

Advertising (via relevant ads) is already worth tens of billions to
Google annually, accounting for virtually all of their revenue.  With
their network view, often even including endpoints to Gmail or Youtube,
they'd be able to build an adsense platform on steroids.

They could also roll existing or modified products into the fiber
service to create a working CloudOS that could auto-update like Chrome.
I would never use it, but a lot of people would be better off, rather
than ceding control to botnets.  That would threaten Google's
competitors.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130529/BUSINESS04/305290045/Cedar-Falls-leads-Iowa-with-online-speed-offers-1-gigabit-per-second-downloads?Frontpage&nclick_check=1

That's an updated story, with new errors etc.  There's a panel on the
left side noting gigabit towns/cities in the US.  There's a conspicuous
absence of densely populated East/West coast cities.

Nicolai