[Cialug] tool to check hardware and internet connection?

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sat May 18 15:03:52 CDT 2013

Slowness is too generic a description. There are many, many things that can
cause slowness both at the hardware level and at the network level.
Questions:
- When you power on the system, how long does it take before you get to a
usable desktop?
- Once at a usable desktop, how long does it take to launch programs that
don't require a network connection?
- When browsing, how long does it take to load your most commonly visited
Web sites?

If you suspect network speed, try the following:
1) Power off every device which uses your Internet connection.
2) Power cycle your router and/or cable modem (both if you have both). Wait
about 5 minutes for the cable modem to reconnect.
3) Power up just one computer and visit a speed test site. Run the speed
test several times and average out the results. How does that result
compare to the speed promised by Mediacom?

Another option: con one of us CIALUG nerds into coming over for a
troubleshooting session. Bribes are encouraged. :D