[Cialug] ddrescue + kpartx = bacon

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 13:02:27 CDT 2013

I was using Mandriva Linux (about any distro should work), with the bad HD
on a usb adapter, and writing the data to another external usb hard drive.
There are obviously faster ways to do that... I have an esata drive but
didn't have that with me when I started the recovery, the internal drive
didn't have enough space for the 320gb drive image.

The defaults for both ddrescue and kpartx were sufficient. Looks like if
you have a lot of bad sectors, ddrescue may take days in the "splitting"
phase, you can skip or adjust the settings to make that work faster.

Run kpartx on the image, it automatically creates the /dev/mapper/loop*
devices, you just mount with something like:

mount /dev/mapper/loop0p3 /mnt/recover/ -o ro

I have fuseblk on this distro, so it detected the ntfs partition without
specifying the type.

-dc