[Cialug] Site-to-site VPN HW

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri May 3 18:13:58 CDT 2013

On May 3, 2013, at 3:29 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> It's been a LONG time since I played with VPNs between sites, .. is anyone
> aware of current usable router hardware? Do not need a separate machine (a
> la OpenVPN), and since Linksys is out of the picture OpenWRT is not
> available either.

For a small number of connections/bandwidth many vaguely-modern routers have sufficient IPSec support and CPU power. For example, my Cisco 1720 (circa 2003) has such support and can handle ~3 Mbps of encrypted traffic without issue. Even low-end Juniper devices have had IPSec support for years and I suspect the same is true of all the other big names.

So if you're happy with IPSec and aren't going to push a ton of data through the tunnel you probably don't need anything special; even many consumer-grade devices will do the job.

	Zach