[Cialug] Topic for the next CIALUG meeting?

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Fri Mar 22 08:12:08 CDT 2013

On 2013.03.21 20:00, kristau wrote:
> Who's looking for a host-your-own replacement for Google Reader besides me?
>
> I'm already actively using SelfOSS and Tiny Tiny RSS hosted inside my
> home network with decent results. If there's enough interest, I'll
> drop the $30 to purchase a license for Fever
> (http://www.feedafever.com/) to compare it, as well as any others you
> might suggest.

I use Thunderbird's built-in RSS support.  I like it for several reasons:
1. I think of feeds pretty much the same way I think of e-mail
    and usenet--a way for other people to give me a small stream
    of content to read at leisure--, so it makes perfect sense
    to have them all combined in the same program.
2. However terrible Thunderbird is, it's still better than a
    web interface.
3. see 2

My biggest complaint is that lots of feeds don't provide full content,
and I haven't yet written something to parse RSS feeds from those sites,
scrape the new entries, and rebuild the RSS feed properly so I never
have to visit the site.  But that's not really Thunderbird's fault.