[Cialug] CIALUG Meeting Tonight

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 14:39:38 CDT 2013

OK, some quick notes, thoughts and links for those who could not attend:

- I had 3 criteria for choosing a Google Reader replacement which would
work for me:
  1) Open Source and actively developed
  2) Able to host myself
  3) Multi-user
- Many hit 1 or 2 of those three points, but Tiny Tiny RSS hit them all and
was pretty easy to turn up.
- Others in the running:
  + Selfoss (http://selfhostedweb.org/selfoss/): this one was good, but not
multi-user.
  + Fever (http://www.feedafever.com/): Interesting "heat" theme, but not
Open Source. He charges $30, but does give you the source code.
  + NewsBlur (http://www.newsblur.com/): Hosted service, but source is
available. Very complex, scalable installation put it out of the running
for me.
- Tiny Tiny RSS (http://tt-rss.org) met all three criteria:
  + Open Source under active development. In fact, I'm behind on versions
right now.
  + Ability to host myself. More on that in a bit.
  + Multi-user. It has a self-registration button. I'm sure that can be
disabled somehow, but I've not researched it.
- My setup:
  + I'm running an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS VM under VMware Fusion on my iMac.
  + I have another Web-based service, Recipants running on this VM.
  + I do not expose these to the Internet. I need to log in to my VPN in
order to access.
- Features (from their site):

   - feed aggregation /
syndication<http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/GeneratedFeeds>,

   - keyboard shortcuts<http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/KeyboardShortcuts>,

   - OPML import/export,
   - multiple ways to share stuff: via RSS feeds, using plugins to various
   social sites, sharing by URL, etc,
   - sharing arbitrary content through
tt-rss<http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/ShareAnything>
   ,
   - mobile devices<http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/MobileVersion>,

   - internationalization,
   - various plugins<http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/Plugins>
   ,
   - detecting and filtering duplicate articles,
   - podcasts,
   - flexible article
filtering<http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/ContentFilters>,

   - JSON-based