[Cialug] LUG Grill Out Tuesday

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 14:46:00 CDT 2013

WARNING: BORING, read further only if you're entertained by our
intricate legal systems

I was halfheartedly referring to different jurisdictions of different
agencies so as not to confuse them with where we were actually going
to be.

Iowa DNR rules don't apply to our stated use of the Cottonwood
Recreation Area.  It's a federal facility under federal rules.

If we were fishing, that'd be a different set of rules, as the Corps
of Engineers defers to local, Iowa DNR, fishing regulations:
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/employees/visitassist/pdfs/nwd-sp-saylorvillefishing.pdf
and they get even more specific here, as these regulations are only
for that portion of the Des Moines river below the dam where we'll be
at but still within the federal boundaries.  Crazy, huh?!

If we were using Jester's facilities, we'd be under a different set
of, get this, sets of rules:
- The golf course lodge:
http://www.jesterparklodge.com/Fees_files/Policies%20and%20Regulations.pdf
where alcohol is only allowed if it's provided by Christiani’s
Catering during a "reserved event"
- Otherwise, there seems to be no alcohol allowed at all
http://www.polkcountyiowa.gov/media/10322/park-rules.pdf

Here is the applicable federal regulation for Corps of Engineers
facilities:  http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/36/327.12 "The
possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages on any portion of
the project land or waters, or the entire project, may be prohibited
when designated and posted by the District Commander."  And, to the
best of my knowledge, a prohibition against the otherwise legal use
(that is to say, by people of legal age in the local jurisdiction) of
alcoholic beverages has not been posted, nor is there an applicable
county-wide prohibition against the consumption of alcohol.

Note, also, that most of the above cited documents state that they're
incomplete or that they're summaries of other sets of laws.

We may be approached by Corps of Engineers, Iowa DNR, or Polk County
Sheriff's personnel, all of whom have some kind of jurisdiction for
where we'll be, for a 'health and safety' type of check, who would be
responsible for enforcing applicable federal, state, county, and
facility rules.  So, let's be careful and not bring anything that'd
spark the interest of the local gendarmes.

Don't worry, the way things are these days, you can't help but break a
number of laws en route to, while at, and on the way home from the
picnic!  :-)

--jim