[Cialug] The Linux Desktop and Window Managers - when is too much?

aaron ampilgrim85 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 00:35:20 CDT 2013

On 07/25/2013 09:55 PM, Nicolai wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 01:33:01AM -0500, aaron wrote:
>
>> My question to the group is, When is too much? Can there be too much?
> The cool thing about open source is that each person can (if able)
> choose a WM appropriate to their work/usage.  The value is in
> capabilities and not market-share.
>
> Personally I prefer lightweight window managers that do as little as
> possible.
>
>> Personally I think a more unified WM across all distros will help
>> greatly bring Linux more in focus of the mass user base.
> Perhaps.  Or maybe:  http://xkcd.com/927/
>
> Nicolai
    "The value is in capabilities and not market-share" -

I would most certainly agree, but the fact is that the average user will
use the environment supplied by default. Case in point, my class mates
in the OS 2 course at NIACC. They were mostly (except for myself and few
others) all coming from a Microsoft Windows environment and had little
to no knowledge of Linux as a whole.

Many in my OS 2 course, a crash course if you will in the uses of Linux,
used Fedora with Gnome 3 shell. And with Gnome, many thought Linux was
crap because it was difficult to navigate and be relativity productive
with Gnome 3. I, having already gone through the torment of the Desktop
environment wars on Ubuntu/Fedora, chose to use KDE on my Fedora box.
Many saw how KDE worked and thought it more productive.

I helped those who wanted too, install KDE and by the end of term, they
were KDE fans. Those who did not switch, did so out of their own will,
but also because they didn't want to change what was provided at
install. This proves both points, that choices are good for the
community, and that the standard Desktop should be more so, standard...

--
Aaron AKA ~A.M.P.~

"The day one losses themself, is the day they lose the world." - A.M.P.