[Cialug] The Linux Desktop and Window Managers - when is too much?

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 13:43:56 CDT 2013

Theron said:
" I didn't initially like Unity when I was heavily using Ubuntu but I got
used to it and really enjoyed it.  It's a solid option assuming modern
hardware."

Emphasis on "modern hardware". A dual core i3 with the Intel GMA graphics
slows to a crawl running Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity. Runs just fine on the
same hardware with KDE. As of 12.10 there is no option to run 2d, you are
required to run the 3d effects to use Unity. In my opinion, this is a major
fail for Ubuntu that they need to address.

The great thing is, it's very easy to change, just "apt-get install kde"
(or your favorite flavor) and you're good to go.

Having choices is good.

-dc