[Cialug] The Linux Desktop and Window Managers - when is too much?

Scott Prader rigrunn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 12:25:39 CDT 2013

Greetings!

I have tried many WMs and DMs over the years.  Of all if them, the only one
that remains true to keeping up with the times without creating memory
bloat and will actually work on older hardware still is Enlightenment.

After nearly a decade of development, version 0.17 was released around the
holidays and it has not disappointed.

The EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries) provide the main backend and
allow applications to be written.  While not many have yet, there are a few
and it is starting to gain attention.  Many view the slow release of an
'eye candy' WM to be nothing but fluff, but that has changed, although eye
candy may now be turned on if desired.

GNOME and KDE have frustrated me greatly.  Openstep/Afterstep are nice.

-Scott