[Cialug] Complete C source online

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Wed Jul 24 17:58:49 CDT 2013

On 7/24/2013 3:23 PM, Zachary Kotlarek wrote:
> On anything that supports the RdRand instruction it's as simple as
> including this library and asking the CPU for a random number:
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/user-manual-for-the-rdrand-library-linux-version

While I don't know how likely it is, there is some speculation that the
NSA may have a "backdoor" into the random number generator.

http://cryptome.org/2013/07/intel-bed-nsa.htm

It is an interesting idea to think about. With open source software we
can audit the source code but we mostly run it on hardware that we can't
guarantee is secure. Weren't there also some knockoff Cisco equipment
from China that had backdoors in it?

Eric