[Cialug] open source digital signage with Linux

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Mon Jul 22 13:15:56 CDT 2013

Are we talking about using a TV/HDMI as the sign?  Do you need sound?

There are a few Linux projects that might be useful.  One that might work is called "Impressive", though it seems more useful as a PowerPoint replacement.  There are also a number of HTML-based presentation packages.  I would suggest building your presentations as web pages and using a full-screen Chromium or Firefox to display.  You could serve from a local web server or directly from the filesystem, and you could use rsync or sftp+scripts to pull the new advertisements/displays.

I've never actually done this myself, but I put some thought into it because I used to know a guy in Indianola who started a business using flat panel TVs to display ads in restaurants and other businesses where customers were in waiting areas.  I believe he was just using those mini-ITX Intel Atom boxes.  A Raspberry Pi or even an ODROID-U2/X2 would be much more cost-effective.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer