[Cialug] July Meeting: ComSec Strategies

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 11:28:02 CDT 2013

On Jul 19, 2013 8:49 PM, "Morris Dovey" <mrdovey at iedu.com> wrote:

> On 7/19/13 8:15 PM, Tom Pohl wrote:
>>
>> To me, this part of your résumé is pretty darn impressive!
>>
>> "Designed and implemented an IPL-able routine to provide for extremely
rapid dump and restore to/from cards on the IBM 1130. A full system and
user library reload could be effected in less than five minutes using the
1442 card read-punch – a considerable reduction from the hour and a half
previously required by the standard IBM utility"

> Necessity is the mother of invention. During debug, the stuff I was
working on trashed the disk with every test.

> What the guys I was working with liked was that the card data was
compressed and that the deck could be loaded at full speed even when
backward or shuffled, with cards oriented any which way (upside down,
turned end-for-end, etc.)

Wow, this is just as impressive as the build!

Don